In this article, we will discuss how to fix the “Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22” issue. If you’re experiencing this error, you’re not alone. Many users encounter this problem when trying to update or install graphics device drivers. We will provide you with step-by-step solutions to resolve this issue and get your graphics driver working properly.
What is Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22?
Error Code 22 is a common error that occurs when there is a conflict between the operating system and the graphics device driver. It usually indicates that the driver is outdated, incompatible, or corrupted. This error can prevent you from using certain graphics-intensive applications or cause display issues on your computer.
Understanding Error Codes 22, 32, 37, and 43
- Error Code 22 indicates that a device is disabled. This could be due to manual disabling, or Windows may have disabled it due to a lack of resources.
- Error Code 32 is triggered when a driver (or device) is disabled in the Registry. The entire error message goes as— A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality.
- Error Code 37 arises when the system fails to initialize a device driver. The driver returned a failure when it executed the Driver Entry routine.
- Error Code 43 represents a generic message that a device driver has stopped responding, typically due to hardware issues or driver failures. If it’s the driver failure, it’s because one of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that it failed somehow.
Before diving into the specifics of each of these Device Manager error codes, it’s worth noting that many problems can be avoided by keeping device drivers updated, regularly checking your system for software compatibility issues, and running system scans to detect and fix problems early.
Steps to Fix Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22
Every device needs a driver dedicated to it to be installed on the system for the device to run efficiently. Therefore, every time the system detects any external or any internal hardware device, it tries to look for a suitable driver for that device. This also applies to devices which are connected wirelessly via Bluetooth.
But all of a suddenly many Windows users started getting an error message while connecting an external device or while using any internal hardware device. The error message says This device is disabled. (Code 22).
Even after connecting the device properly to the system, it does not work and they get an error message as discussed above. There might be several reasons why this is occurring on the Windows system and some of them are listed below.
Fixes for graphics device driver error code 22
- The user must have disabled the device unknowingly.
- Outdated device driver.
- Changes made in the CMOS/BIOS settings.
- Physical damage to the internal or external device which is connected to the system.
- Some unreliable third-party software might be interrupting.
On researching these factors mentioned above, we have gathered a bunch of detailed solutions which will resolve this error and you can use the device without any issues.
Workarounds to try before going further –
- Restart your system a few times and then check if the problem got resolved.
- Find all the third-party software/applications/games installed on the system and uninstall them all and see if those were interrupting.
- Sometimes, the external device itself might be damaged/faulty so verify it by connecting the device to another system. If it works without any errors on other systems.
- Update your system’s bios using the update utility tools for updating the BIOS without any risk of damaging the system. All you need is to visit your system’s manufacturer website and download the utility tool, which is the safest method to update the BIOS/UEFI.
Fix 1 – Try to enable the device – Fixes for graphics device driver error code 22
If the user has disabled the device by mistake, then it will cause such errors to occur in the system. So let us try to enable the device and see if this could be fixed by enabling it.
Follow the steps given below on how to enable the device using the Device Manager app.
Step 1: Press the Windows and R keys together which opens the run command box.
Step 2: Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and press the Enter key.
Step 3: After the device manager app window opens, go to the device by searching it from the list of devices as shown.
Step 4: Once you get the device, right-click on it and select Enable device from the context menu.
Step 5: This will enable the device and you will not be getting such error henceforth.
Step 6: Once done, close the device manager.
Fix 2 – Update the Device driver – Fixes for graphics device driver error code 22
The chances of getting such errors on the system if the device’s driver is outdated. So we recommend our users update their device’s driver using the device manager.
Step 1: Open the Device Manager on your system by pressing the Win+X keys together and then pressing the M key on the keyboard.
Step 2: Once the Device Manager window opens, go to the device driver and right-click on it and select Properties from the context menu.
Step 3: In the Properties window, click Driver tab on top and then click Update driver.
Step 4: This will pop up an update window and then select Search automatically for drivers option.
Step 5: This shall start searching for an update and starts updating the device’s driver.
Step 6: Once it has finished updating, close the device manager and see if the problem still persists.
Fix 3 – Reinstall the Device driver – Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22
If updating the device’s driver does not help in fixing the problem, then it is better to reinstall the driver and see if this works. Many users claimed that they were able to fix this problem by reinstalling the device’s driver once on the system.
Please follow the steps below on how to do it.
Step 1: Press the Win key on your keyboard and type device manager.
Step 2: Then click Device Manager app from the search results to open the Device Manager window on the system as shown below.
Step 3: Once the device manager window opens, navigate to the device’s driver and right-click on it.
Step 4: Now click Uninstall device from the context menu as shown in the below screenshot.
Step 5: This starts uninstalling the device and then close the device manager.
Step 6: Restart your system once.
Step 7: While the system starts, it will choose a suitable driver for the device whose driver is missing because we had uninstalled it.
Step 8: Then it will install the device’s driver and when the system starts, check whether the issue still persists or not.
Fix 4 – Clear the CMOS of your system – Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22
Some Windows users assured that this type of issues can be fixed by clearing the CMOS of your system. There are two methods for clearing the CMOS, one is using the Battery and another is using the Jumper on the motherboard.
Jumper method is bit risky to perform since it involves the motherboard. So we recommend taking the help of any computer technician, who can do it easily and carefully.
We can proceed with the battery method if the battery from the system can be detachable easily and if the battery built-in and non removable then please skip this method.
Follow the steps on clearing the CMOS.
Step 1: Disconnect all the external devices attached to the system and shut down the system.
Step 2: After shutting down the system, unplug the power cable from the system if it was connected.
Step 3: Now you can remove the battery from the system and wait for a few minutes.
NOTE – Some laptops/systems needs to be uncovered for removing the battery but if it involves disconnecting the wires for removing the battery, please consult any computer technician before doing that.
Step 4: After a few minutes, put the battery back into the system and plug the power cable.
Step 5: Connect all the external devices to the system and turn it on.
Step 6: This will clear the CMOS and the error must be fixed by now.
The “Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22” can be frustrating, but with the right steps, you can resolve it and get your graphics driver working smoothly again. Remember to uninstall the current driver, download and install the latest driver, update your Windows operating system, use adriver update tool if necessary, and seek professional help if needed. By following these steps, you should be able to fix the error and enjoy a seamless graphics experience on your computer.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Q: What causes the Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22?
- A: The error can be caused by an outdated, incompatible, or corrupted graphics driver.
- Q: Can I fix the error by updating Windows?
- A: Yes, updating your Windows operating system can help resolve the issue.
- Q: Are driver update tools safe to use?
- A: Yes, reputable driver update tools are safe to use and can help automate the process of finding and installing the correct drivers.
- Q: What should I do if none of the steps work?
- A: If the error persists, it’s best to contact the support team of your graphics card manufacturer or seek assistance from a professional technician.
- Q: How can I prevent this error from happening again in the future?
- A: To prevent the error, make sure to keep your graphics drivers up to date and regularly check for Windows updates.